Monday, 27 June 2011

C is for... Cyprus

Considering I now live in Cyprus it was a fairly obvious choice for the letter C in my series of A to Z posts. We've now been here 18 months and it feels like I've been here forever. We took a big risk in moving, and went against all kinds of sensible advice of the type you read online about moving abroad. I don't regret anything we did (apart from maybe spending a bit too much money in the first few months!) although I'd have to revert to the same advice that I read so often to anyone else thinking of doing the same thing!

Advice such as, make sure you have a job (or adequate funds to live on for a year) before you arrive. Rent for a year before buying so you are sure which area you want to live in and visit at different times of the year as winter in Cyprus is very different to summer. Although we did none of those things looking back we have been very lucky, I know of others here who did similar things but have been here a while and jobs may have been easier to come by a few years ago when they moved over.

They say 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' and that is so true here. I had 'met' a girl online before we moved and spent 6 months getting to know her online, her husband played on the local pool team and when we arrived Aaron joined them, through them we met a lot of people and by word of mouth and recommendation he found a very good job.

We got lucky in some respects with the location of our apartment as we didn't know the area at all, but we didn't want to live in a 'tourist area' and we were advised well by the sales agent when we specified the kind of thing we were looking for. Our village Derynia is only a short drive from the resorts of Protaras, and Agia Napa but far enough away that you experience normal 'everyday' life. 

Contrary to popular belief we are not on a permanent holiday, yes there are many holiday aspects to it but we still have real life to contend with. Long working hours for Aaron, cars breaking down (and taking nearly 6 months to repair) and the joys of housework and toddler tantrums to name just a few, and all that sometimes in a temperature that is so hot you can hardly breathe. 

 I wouldn't change it for the world though, every day I'm glad we did it. I've said before the grass is not greener on the other side (there's not enough rain for it to be!) but it is different and it wouldn't suit everyone but for us it is just great.


4 comments:

  1. I have been living in Cyprus for about 10 years on and off now and I consider it more of a home than the UK. I work away a lot and Cyprus is the perfect place to come back home to on my time off. It is definitely all about who you know, as all systems in all areas are great on paper but do not work unless you know someone to get through them. I hope you and your family have an amazing time over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had such a positive experience moving to Cyprus and long may it continue. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I travelled forward in time?  I'm reading this on 24th June but the date on the blog post says 27th June.  I think blogger is messing with my head!

    Lovely post dedicated to your new home.  It sounds lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger is driving me crazy, this was scheduled for the 27th!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails