Monday, 7 May 2012

Birth in Cyprus - Sarah's Story

Along with sharing my experience of pregnancy and birth in Cyprus, I thought it might be interesting to hear some other peoples experiences too. Unlike the UK there is very little information on-line about birth here in Cyprus and it can be very daunting when you are doing it all in a new country so I wanted to gather together some birth stories for part of my 'Birth in Cyprus' series.


Sarah had her baby in a private clinc after IVF treatment  in 2005, here is her story....


The clinic that my Gyny/Ob worked from (He rented half of it) was not good.  During 2005 when I was having IVF and went for hormone injections, I would go to a small nurses room (3mx2m) and up on the high windowsill there were ashtrays where obviously the nurses/doctors smoked.  I once saw my Anaesthetist come out from there and it was all smoky when I went in.  Also from the outside you could see Dads smoking on the balcony of the rooms!  I knew then that my baby would not be born there. 


I knew a lady who was/is a midwife at another big clinic and I spoke to her.  She said
that her clinic accepted Guest Obstetricians so I should ask my Gyny/Ob to see if he would go there to perform my C/Section.  He agreed so I went to this other clinic, Thank God.



How much did it cost?
Approx. CY£ 1500 (Med Insurance) €2500

Would you do the same again?
Yes if I were younger and could conceive naturally – would not go through IVF again, simply because it’s too many hormones and has affected me.

What was the antenatal care like? Were you happy with it?

I had IVF and all the appointments during the treatment and then whilst I was pregnant were very good – really liked my doctor. (who was a fertility doctor too)  


I had more pregnancy check-ups as it was IVF.  Antenatal classes were rather pathetic.  1 session a week for 4 weeks.  

1st week – shown around hospital.
2nd week - Sat in a conference room with a lady Gyny/Ob and spoke about
breastfeeding.  

3rd week – about the birth and what’s involved.  
4th week – a new Mum came and spoke about her experience. No breathing techniques,
anything like that.  It may have changed now (I do hope so).  Think this cost something like CYP70 which is about €120 !


What do you wish you had known about having a baby here beforehand?
I was told early on I would have to have C-Section due to low placenta…..
every scan showed same but I didn’t know that, as couldn’t read a scan and see placenta position.  Wish I’d researched more on this and maybe pushed for natural birth but at end of the day, all went well for baby and me with the C-section.  



Also wish I’d researched about vaccinations as would never have let my daughter have so many – they truly over-vaccinate here.

Did you have a C-section or natural birth? Was that your choice?
C Section – low placenta throughout pregnancy.

Did you have any pain relief? What was available to you?

I had a Spinal Anaesthetic for my C-Section.


Were you spoken to in English or Greek?Mostly English – a couple of the nurses were English and others from Norway but spoke English, my doctor and Anaesthetist spoke English too.  

Did you have a birth partner?

My husband

How long did you stay in hospital after birth? What was it like?
5 days – could have gone home after 4 but was enjoying the rest and wanted to learn to bath baby one or time with the nurses!



BirthInCyprus

1 comment:

  1. I also had  a c-section.  Also stayed in a +1 fifth day.
    Also really weary of vaccines after researching for hours and hours.
    Great to read birth stories.
    Interesting to hear about Cyprus and IVF.

    Liska xxx

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails